Monday, April 23, 2007

6 concerts in 3 days -or- why I love my life

So The 2nd Annual Green Apple Music & Arts Festival came and went, and boy oh boy was it a good one. Unfortunately, I only got to see the shows in New York (unlike Josh Baron who jet setted to Chicago and San Fran over the weekend), but it was the best. The biggest thanks goes out to Mother Nature for giving us 70 degrees and SUN. I literally have a small sunburn on my left arm. And I'm actually happy about that.

The weekend started out nice and early on Thursday at the Knit for an acoustic Duo show. Always good to see Marco and Joe and the highlight was forcing Cole to introduce the band (well, the actual highlight was standing on the side of the stage with the band, sticking out tongues out at her while she was doing it). Also got to the spend some QT with John, the guitarist from Raisinhill--good to catch up with him. Fun night.

Friday morning I spent up at Grand Central helping the Relix peeps set up the Green Apple booth. Nothing is better than closing down a street in Manhattan, plopping a stage smack in the middle and having good music played while the sun is shining.

First music of the day was The School of Rock featuring Jon Anderson (of Yes fame). His voice still sounds perfect and the kids are incredible musicians. Sarah, the 13-year-old guitarist seen here absolutely SHREDDED. I'd seen her before take over for Metzger during a Bustle in your Hedgerow and she is just incredible. She played an acoustic for "Roundabout" and nailed the harmonics in the intro. She's the best.

Ran back to the office to do some work, then went back up for Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. She's so awesome. There's just no denying how great her voice is. Fun cover of "Sex Machine" and her standard set with most of the songs from her lats album.

Ran back to the office yet again and finished up work for the day, then went over to Rebel to set up for my show that night, featuring Chuch, Quintus and my boys, Hot Buttered Rum. Had some great people working my booth (Thanks, Larissa and Dana! You ruled) and got to spend time with the Butter boys (and Molly). Highlight for me was introducing the band on stage and their deadication of "Loose Lucy." But the most special moment was talking to Brian's dad. Jake Shimabukuro sat in and MAN can that kid tear it up on the ukelele.

Saturday I was up WAY too early to finish getting stuff out of Deanna's apartment. Had a great brunch with her and then ran up to Grand Central for Zero. That's her with one of the plushies on Vanderbilt Ave. And below is me with a rat. I'm not sure what the subway rat has to do with global warming and the environment, but so it goes.
Zero was a blast... while Kimock doesn't always impress me (frankly, he bores me sometimes), he can switch gears on a dime and blow me away sometimes. And it's always good to hear Donna Jean's voice (er, well, it's fun to hear it, when you choose not to remember "Playin in the Band."


Did some more apartment stuff that afternoon. Had dinner in the village with some friends from Florida and then went to see Phix. I love those guys. They just sound exactly like Phish. And they rule. Great songs--Buried Alive opener, Tube, Slave, Coil, Axilla, Sloth, CTB, and a pretty damn perfect Reba. I'm sad they won't be coming back again... My only question is why the marquee read "PHIX N," as in, we're phixing for our phix?

Sunday saw a trip to Ikea and some other housework. Had Gabe over for dinner--our first dinner party. More to come.

Music Notes:
Off to see Blue Turtle Seduction tonight. Their first gig in NYC ever. Can't wait! See you at the Rodeo Bar at 9.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home