Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Amy Winehouse is a trip

So thanks to Shawn Koonin over at Universal Republic, I checked out Amy Winehouse at the Highline Ballroom last night. Great venue--only two blocks from the A train. Good sound, Beano doing lights, cute bartenders (expensive drinks though), good sight lines (from downstairs, anyway). I dig.

Onto the show... I got there as the opener (Patrick Woolf, I believe) just finished his set. I ran into Erik Dane and met Leda Chang from UMusic. Had a few drinks and waited while the house music (house being both the music from the venue and the genre) was blaring. Finally, around 9:30, her band took the stage. The Dap-Kings. Who knew?? Good stuff. After some band riffing, they introduced her (very much like Cat Power) and Amy Winehouse, hot body and all, took the stage.

She was very sultry--I guess that's the best word to describe her. Hot little thing (after the show, Howie Schnee told me she's Jewish--who knew?), with tight, low-riding jeans, exposed tummy (complete with naked chick tattoo), and wizard of oz dorothy's crop top "shirt" (i don't even know the proper term for it, but she looked GOOD).

She ran through 45 mins of her songs. Good banter--she definitely enjoys her booze and clearly had no concept of time, as she thought it was Cinco de Mayo on the 8th. And then thought Cinco was the night before.

I found this quote today--and it sums her up perfectly: "I’m not a lesbian, though — not before a sambuca anyway." I almost bought the t-shirt that says "I don't want to go to REHAB" on my way out.

Good stuff! But more importantly, MTV needs to revive Celebrity Death Match and pin Amy Winehouse up against Lily Allen. I'd pay to watch it. My money is Amy...

1 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Mike Greenhaus said...

she's a trip cause she is high(line)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home