Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I'm going back to New York City, I do believe I've had enough

I had the greatest cab driver last night. I was going from the World Financial Center (PJ Clarke's with Kelley) to 14th and 1st (to grab the L train with Russ to go see Matt Pond) and this guy just had a huge smile on his face. He was so happy to be driving me around, he loved NYC and he taught me something I didn't know--medallion numbers with letters A-F are independently owned. But more importantly, it was a very enjoyable cab ride (and I tipped him 100%).

Last night's show was Matt Pond PA at North Six in Williamsburg. Ran into Katie Caperton on the train, who never made it to the show (booo!). Got there as Youth Group was setting up. They were ok, albeit too derivative for my taste. I got a chance to catch up with Brian Pearl (Matt Pond's guitarist)--they've been on tour for six straight weeks. He told me that getting their equipment stolen (oddly enough fewer than 10 blocks from where we were) was actually a blessing in disguise, as they were insured and able to get all new equipment.

Their set was a blast. The cellist adds SUCH a perfect texture to the mix, and Matt's voice is pristine. Good show, no doubt--and a big shoutout to Brian (who knew he could play the keys too?). Glad to have a night off tonight (though, anything exciting going on?), that's for sure.

Music notes:
Built to Spill has postponed their spring tour--Doug Martsch is recovering from eye surgery. Now, it only took Sage a weekend to recover from hers, and I bet Doug could even play with his eyes closed. But, I do wish a speedy recovery and all the best to Doug and I can't wait to see you in the fall! If you haven't bought their new album yet, do so today. Conventional Wisdom will be in my top 10 songs of the year come December...

1 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home